All My Scripts
Radio Play How-To Info
Sound Effects Info
Last updated: October 30, 2018
Sound Effects - especially for Radio Plays
Tony "Sparx" Palermo
, professional radio sound effects artist
Tony's SFX rig for
'The Gorilla Radio Hour'
, which starred Steve Carell, Jason Alexander and Garry Marshall
Check out Tony's
RuyaSonic Radio Plays
- All scripts come with with how-to detailed "SFX Cookbooks"
Tutorials on Radio Sound Effects by Tony Palermo
Radio Sound Effects Primer
- SFX, from whisper to a scream
Catalog listing of Manual Sound Effects Catalog
- A catalog of "how to" make sounds
Basic Radio Play Sound Effects Kit
- A detailed description of what to get/make
Building Mechanical Sound Effects Devices
- How to build several important sound effects devices
Tony's Sound Effects Rigs for Radio-On-Stage Shows
- How I set up my rig for professional work
Tony's 'Sparx Sound Effects Spectacular!' Programs
- about my assembly programs teaching sonic storytelling
Articles on Radio Sound Effects by Tony Palermo
Using Walla Walla Crowd Sounds in Radio Drama
- theory and practice for this important sound effect.
Cliff Thorsness - Sound Effects Great
- an appreciation of my mentor--a CBS sound man from the golden age of radio drama.
Zounds! What Sounds!
- My "How To SFX" columns from the
National Audio Theatre Festival
Using Expression When Playing Sound Effects
Over-Reliance On Sound Effects
Using Manual Sound Effects Instead of Samples
Controlling Sampled Sound Effects
A Basic Manual Sound Effects Kit
Creating Authentic Telephone Sound Effects
Getting Authentic Telephone Voice Sounds
The Visual Side of Sound Effects
Working with "Difficult" Directors
Pre-recorded Sound Effects Playback Devices
Other Sound Effects resources
The Art of Foley
- the term for manual sound effects used in films.
Old Time Radio Sound Effects
CBC Radio Drama Studio
Canadian Broadcast Company site with pictures of SFX devices and sounds.
- Jay Rose's website has SFX and engineering info.
Live Sound Effects
- A short list of instructions for making sounds.
Partners in Rhyme
- an online sound effects and music library
Film Sound Design
- Sven E Carlsson's online course in sound theory, much of which also applies to radio.
Vintage Percussion instruments used for accompanying silent films.
Pre-recorded sound effects tracks available on-line
Please note that many SFX track demos sound terrible because of low-sample rates. I suggest you buy a few, select SFX tracks before making any big purchases.
- free access to more than 1200 sound effects
- "The largest collection of Sound FX on the Planet" -- with free ones too.
- "The #1 Sound Effects" store on-line" -- also with free sounds.
"235,000 sound effects and production music tracks online. Since 1997."
- "The place for incredible sound effects".
F7 Sound and Vision
- "Sound effects that scream"
- "The world's largest publisher of professional sound effects"
Sound Art Links
-- The Transom website offers links to innovate sound artists works.